“Grouping test scripts in some kind of order is important. We ended up with almost 700 test scripts. We used Deloitte as our third-party implementation team and they were wonderful. They had suggested a specific type of folder structure that really helped us stay organised.”
Testing and Training with Boehringer Ingelheim
A Groundbreakers Story
Headquartered in Germany, Boehringer Ingelheim has been family owned since 1885 and currently has over 50,000 global employees in over 63 countries. The organisation implemented the WorkForce Suite in two phases for all US locations, which consist of three parts: human pharma, animal health, and biopharma. Boehringer Ingelheim’s Senior Principal Business Analyst and Time Administration Specialist share their recipe for implementation success: the often-overlooked testing and training phases.
Organisation: Boehringer Ingelheim
Headquarters: Rhein, Germany
Employees: 50,000+ employees
Implementation Partner: Deloitte
Responsibilities of a Successful Test Lead
Overall coordination of test plans, test scripts, and tester signoff as well as management of end-to-end system testing and defect management, including:
- Organising a team of testers
- Educating the team
- Setting up meetings, conference rooms, etc.
- Setting attainable expectations
- Conducting testing debrief after go-live
Helpful Test Tips
- Set up test data before testing begins
- Work backwards from the go-live date
- Test across all user experiences
- Suggest remote and in-person user acceptance training
- Take training, holidays, and vacation time into account
A Well-Designed Test Script…
- Does not include other elements like holidays or time off
- Includes positive and negative tests
- Is clear, concise, and simple
- Includes who to log in as
- Has actual numbers for expected results
“Grouping test scripts in some kind of order is important. We ended up with almost 700 test scripts. We used Deloitte as our third-party implementation team and they were wonderful. They had suggested a specific type of folder structure that really helped us stay organised.”—Sandra Mathew, Senior Principal Business Analyst
How to Motivate the Testing Team:
- Begin with an ice breaker
- Name the project and create a logo
- Plan team lunches or play games
- Give the team monitors
Communicate Training to Employees By:
- Posting signs, emails, internal websites, and bulletin board reminders well in advance
- Notifying all employees, including remote workers
- Offering multiple training class dates and times
Training Questions to Ask Yourself:
- What types of employees will be using the system?
- Are my employees exempt, non-exempt, hourly, part time, managers, or off site?
- What training guides and classes are necessary for each employee type?
- What are the system usage, policy, and process differences I need to consider for training material content?
“It’s extremely important to choose the correct person to conduct your training. You want someone that’s going to be creative, that can help with your training materials, and can address the needs of the employees.”—Nancy Kurdy, Time Administration Specialist
Key Training Tips:
- Train using “just-in-time” approach, plan around holidays, and don’t rush!
- Ensure that there are enough training sessions to reach all employees
- Leave a window of availability in the event that select employees are unable to attend classes
- Provide one-on-one assistance during the first payroll processing
- Use PowerPoint training guides as class handouts
WorkForce Suite for Manufacturing
Control costs and ensure accurate gross pay calculations for your entire workforce with one global solution across all employee types and locations.
See it in Action!
To see how our solution can help you improve business outcomes, request a personalised demo.